Veterans Overview | Nashville Funeral and Cremation | Nashville TN funeral home and cremation
site image
site image

Veterans Overview


Honoring a Veteran

The basic Military Funeral Honors (MFH) ceremony consists of folding and presenting the US flag to the veteran's family, as well as playing Taps. A funeral honors detail comprised of at least two members of the Armed Forces performing the ceremony.

The status of the veteran will determine the Funeral Honors accorded to you or your veteran. Funeral Honors can be Full Military Honors, a 7-person Detail, or a Standard Honors Team Detail.

At least one member of the funeral honors detail will be from the military branch in which the deceased veteran served. Taps can be performed by a bugler or, if one is not available, by a high-quality recorded version. If the veteran/family requests it, Military Funeral Honor Teams may serve as Pall Bearers.

site image

Who is eligible for Military Funeral Honors?

  • Military personnel serving on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.
  • Former military personnel who served on active duty and were discharged honorably.
  • Former service personnel who left the military under circumstances other than dishonorable after serving at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligation.
  • Former service members who were released from the Selected Reserve because of a disability they had acquired or made worse while performing their duties.

Who is not eligible for Military Funeral Honors?

  • Any person who was separated from the Armed Forces for reasons other than honorable, or whose service character results in a bar to veteran's benefits.
  • Any anyone who was instructed to appear at an induction station but was never formally enrolled in the military.
  • Any person who is dismissed from the Selected Reserve before completing one term of enlistment or period of initial required service for reasons other than a disability sustained or aggravated in the line of duty.
  • Any person who has been found guilty of a federal or state capital crime and has been given a death or life sentence.

How do I establish veteran eligibility?

We need a copy of the DD 214 discharge paperwork, which shows that the veteran received an honorable discharge, in order to apply for veteran military funeral honors. Fill out a Standard Form 180 and mail it to the following address to acquire the DD Form 214:

National Personnel Records Center(NPRC)
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132

The National Records Center or the website below both offer access to the Standard Form 180:

Is anyone else eligible to receive funeral honors?

Yes. Funeral honors are also available to members of the Commissioned Officer Corps of the Public Health Service (PHS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), both of which are Uniformed Services.

NOAA Form 56-16, Report of Transfer or Discharge, is used to determine eligibility for NOAA staff. If the family does not already have a copy of the NOAA Form 56-16, it can be obtained by calling the Chief, Officer Services Division, NOAA Commissioned Personnel Center at (301) 713-7715 or writing to:

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration 
Commissioned Personnel Center 
Chief, Officer Services Division (CPC1) 
1315 East-West Highway, Room 12100 
Silver Spring, Maryland 20910

Funeral honors eligibility for PHS employees is determined using PHS Form 1867, Statement of Service (equivalent to the DD Form 214). If the family needs a copy of the Statement of Service, they can get one by writing to or calling the Commissioned Corps privacy coordinator at (240) 453-6041:

Division of Commissioned Personnel/HRS/PSC 
Attention: Privacy Act Coordinator 
5600 Fishers Lane 
Rockville, Maryland 20857

© 2023 Nashville Funeral and Cremation. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Accessibility